Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Notoriously Morbid Ancient Mystic Matte Liquid Lipstick Swatches!


I'm almost all caught up with older blog posts but I have something new for you today!  Notoriously Morbid recently released their newest METALLIC liquid matte lipsticks called Ancient Mystic Mattes and I bought them all without question.  I received them a few days ago and finally had a chance to swatch them all since it's my weekend.  I found the formula consistent with the Mystic Mattes in the regular line, where it's very thin and watery but opaque and dries quickly.

The company has stated the pigments used in the Ancient Mystics are heavier than the regular line, so they tend to settle more.  They recommend shaking the tubes before each use to distribute pigments.  I tried doing so with all my tubes before swatching, but I didn't shake a few enough and ended up with slightly sheer swatches (you'll see in a bit).  Most were opaque in one layer, but I applied two to even out the color.


A little info card was included with tips on how to use the Ancient Mystic Mattes.  It reads:
  • Prime your lips by exfoliating and using a light lip balm.  Remove excess lip balm before applying your Ancient Mystic.
  • The Ancient Mystic pigments are heavier than our regular Mystics and will settle a bit more.  So give the tube a hearty shake before applying.
  • Let your Ancient Mystic dry between coats or before touching up your application.



Akhenaten
Akhenaten:  moderately opaque metallic gold.  This was one that I thought was opaque on my lips until I took the close up picture and realized it didn't cover my lips fully.  I think it's due to the pigments not distributing evenly instead of actually being sheer.  It looks wonderfully reflective in person though and I never noticed the sheer spots at all.




Khufu
Khufu:  metallic fern green




Tutankhamun
Tutankhamun:  metallic bright cobalt.  This one surprised me with how brightly it applied to the lips!  On the first swipe, I was like, "Holy crap!"  If you've been looking for a beautiful bright blue, King Tut is for you.




Ramses II
Ramses II:  moderately opaque metallic pewter with gold sparkles.  This was another that applied a bit more sheer than the rest.  I noticed this upon application and layered it but nothing changed.  I suspect it was another case of uneven pigment distribution, so I'll make sure to really shake this one up next time!




Thutmose III
Thutmose III:  metallic dark silver.  I had no problems with pigmentation for this one, but I did notice it was similar to Ramses II.  Ramses II is supposed to be pewter and slightly warmer whereas Thutmose is silver and cool.  However, they look really similar on the lips, so I recommend only picking one up.  (You can see the differences better in the group swatch below.)




Hatshepsut
Hatshepsut:  metallic garnet with red and gold sparkles.  I love this one, not only because of the color, but because Hatshepsut was my favorite pharaoh to read about in school.  This shade is beautiful and opaque and makes me feel badass (as Hatshepsut was).  Not sure why it looks extremely purple here, but it's a bit redder in person.  




Cleopatra
Cleopatra:  metallic violet.  The formula for Cleopatra is superb.  It applies evenly without streaks and dries quickly.  I'm tempted to wear this one out because it's absolutely gorgeous.


Akhenaten, Khufu, Tutankhamun, Ramses II, Thutmose II, Hatshepsut, Cleopatra

I love new Ancient Mystic Mattes!  They have the same formula that I love from the regular line with an added metallic finish.  The colors are all so beautiful and special, I just wish I could wear them out without feeling weird.  I sincerely hope NM expands this line because I definitely need more beautiful metallic matte lipsticks.

- Jolie ♥

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness.... All beautiful but Cleopatra and Hatshepsut really shine on you!! I wouldn't hesitate to wear either out and about, especially as October approaches. Normal is boring!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Roo! Cleo and Hatshepsut are probably the only two I would even consider wearing out! They're all really gorgeous though :O

      Delete