Saturday, December 8, 2012

Coastal Scents Haul: Swatches

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Hi again guys!  I know it's weird how I'm posting twice in a day, but I had a lot saved up and wanted to separate my elf posts from my Coastal Scents haul.  I ordered this during their Black Friday so everything was 50% off!  I'll list the original prices below and what I got them for.  As you can see, I've also just joined Bloglovin' so feel free to follow me!

Anywho, Coastal Scents is another online makeup shop similar to E.L.F.  If you've heard of them then it's probably because of their famous 88 Eyeshadow Palette that every makeup guru was raving about a few years ago.  Since then, they have came out with a lot of new palettes, including the 252 Ultimate Eyeshadow Palette.  Now bear in mind that it's the biggest palette on the market (for now), so it probably has all the colors a girl ever needs.  And judging from the hype about the 88 palette, I was expecting the same exact pigmentation and quality with this one.
The Haul: Eyeshadow sample, Kabuki Stick, 252 Ultimate Eyeshadow Palette, and nail polishes

Eyeshadow Sample: Top left to right: Ice Ballet, Peachy Keen
Bottom left to right: Bombay, Raisin Berry

One thing I really love about CS is their inclusion of a sample with every order.  The first time I ordered from them, they gave me one gorgeous vampy red color that I can't find anymore.  And this time they gave me some sort of quad.  I think it's adorable, and all their colors can be found on the website.


I've taken the liberty to swatch the sample colors, mainly because I can't swatch all 252 colors right now, but it'll give you an idea of how pigmented the palette really is.
Left to right: Bombay, Peachy Keen, Ice Ballet, Raisin Berry

Left: with flash (Ice Ballet, Peachy Keen, Bombay, Raisin Berry), Right: natural lighting

All the shimmery colors came out beautiful and they were really pigmented.  However, Bombay is pretty sheer and I had to layer it like crazy for it to even show up on the back of my hand.  It's a muted white gray color and I wouldn't recommend getting that.  Peachy Keen is a shimmery coral color that matched my nails in the previous post, and I didn't realize it was shimmery until I swatched it.  Ice Ballet is a shimmery light purple and is a really fun color.  My favorite out of the quad was Raisin Berry, as I now have an obsession for all things burgundy or wine colored.  This color is amazing and is so beautiful in the pot as it is on the skin.  I know the swatch didn't really do it justice, but look at the color on my finger!

Alright, moving on:

I got this Kabuki on a stick because I needed a powder brush.  I got it for $2 because of the sale, so I'm assuming it's originally $4.  I haven't tried this yet but I'll have an update when I do :)
Coastal Scents Nail Polish "Coats": (left to right) Top coat, Base coat, Cosmic

I got these babies for 50 cents each during the sale.  Haven't tried them yet but I figured there was nothing to lose since they were so cheap (even cheaper than ELF!).  
Cosmic

Cosmic is a pretty black polish with flakes in them.  In different lights, the flakes turn green, yellow, or auburn so it's very interesting.  I would recommend this even though I haven't tried it since it retails for $1 and is pretty.  I've seen some pretty good reviews on it too.  Definitely check this out!

And last but not least!
All the trays pulled out from the palette

I got this for $15, but it retails for $30.  I believe it used to sell for $40 but they lowered their price sometime this year (lucky us!).  Each tray has a ribbon at the end to help you slide them out easily.  The colors are really pigmented and I can't wait to try them!  As you can tell with the swatches above, their shimmers seem to be more pigmented than mattes.
Greens and Blues
Reds and Yellows
The mixed colors: And I'm not sure why the picture is vertical but oh well.

So many colors to play with!  I should also mention that the palette is a lot smaller than what I expected, but I'm treating this as a CS eyeshadow sampler.  All the colors on the palette can be sold individually on the website and they have an easy matching chart for you to choose the color.  That's way more useful than if you had to try and matched the colors by yourself.

Have any of you bought the 252 Palette yet?  And if so, how do you like it?

As always, thanks again for reading, and don't hesitate to leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. Κееp this gοing please, great ϳob!


    Μy page - augenlasern

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again.
    Regardless, just wanted to say excellent blog!

    Have a look at my web blog Heidelberg Kindergeburtstag

    ReplyDelete